Dental hygienists are specially trained to work as part of the dental team, to give care to patients. They play an important part in dental health care and are mainly concerned with preventive dental health and treating gum disease – showing you correct home care and helping to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
What Our Dental Hygienists Help With?
The hygienist can perform a number of procedures including:
- Deep cleanings
- Scaling of teeth
- Root planning for patients with periodontal disease
- Dental sealants
- Administration of fluoride
- Provide instructions for proper oral hygiene and care
Their main work is to ensure that you are given the tools to keep your teeth free of plaque. If this is not brushed away then it can progress to tartar and gum disease which is much harder to treat.
Deep cleanings should be pain-free. If however you do experience any discomfort make sure that you let the hygienist know and they will be able to use anesthetic creams or give you some local anesthetic to reduce this.
Benefits Of Visiting A Dental Hygienist in Billericay, Essex
- Removing plaque and hard calculus deposits.
- Giving advice on how to best clean in between teeth
- Polishing the teeth to remove food and drink stain.
- Stopping gums from bleeding when brushing.
- Helping to change red and inflamed gums to a healthy pink.
- Demonstrating effective tooth brushing techniques to remove plaque without causing tooth wear and receding gums.
- Discussing the latest oral hygiene products.
- A detailed explanation of the periodontal disease.
- Discussing other factors that cause periodontal disease, for example, smoking and diabetes.
- Discussing how periodontal disease could affect or complicate other health problems, for example, heart disease.
- Preventing tooth decay and erosion
- Giving dietary advice on how to reduce sugary and acidic foods and drinks.
- Advising on fluoride and apply fluoride varnishes to help remineralize early signs of tooth caries.
- Preventing teeth from becoming mobile and drifting.
- Preventing unpleasant tastes and bad breath caused by the damaging bacteria in the mouth.
All this will help you to achieve a brighter and healthier smile.